Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Update from Siberia, formerly known as Boone, NC


Laura and I just got back from a lovely overnight in Boone. I love it. Laura seems to be paging through the yellow pages looking for a lawyer.

When we got there about 7pm the temp was 11, with windchill driving it down to well below zero. It was also snowing. We had dinner with the Quigley's at the Mellow Mushroom. Maggie latched on to me, Laura latched on to Mary who was happy to have a sane adult female to talk to.

Then we went over to the Holiday Inn and found a room and were in by 8. Laura had a lot to say about the weather and the state of our marriage for me bringing her up there. The next time I have surgery it has to be between the months of April and September, or in Florida.

The next morning we mushed through the snow to the hospital and I had my cataract surgery. No problems, but Laura had to drive me home through the snow. The nurses told me just to close my one good eye and everything would be fine. Actually, it was. Laura did great, and the streets were fairly clear.

So now I am recovering, milking this for all the TLC I can possibly get. But I look a little bit like The Fly, halfway through transition with a great big round metal shield over my eyes.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Mary said...

Oh please, the "storm" was in Boone only. After Laura drove 5 miles an hour for about 1 mile, you were out of the bad weather and onto perfectly clear roads the rest of the way home. But yes, Boone was yucky.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Mary said...

But it was nice to talk with a sane adult of any gender. And it was (and remains) freakin' cold up here!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Laura insists she drove every bit of 10 mph!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Mary said...

Tell Tia Carmen I didn't drive any faster! Until out of the mess, which thankfully was contained. What an odd little "weather event."

5:12 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

God hates Boone.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home