Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Me and the Monks

I wrote in 'Not Mayberry' that I was thinking of going to a monastery for a retreat in January. I made up my mind and booked a week at the Abbey of the Holy Cross in Berryville. It is a mile or two north of Route 7 on the banks of the Shennandoah River. I'll stay there from Monday 8 Jan til Friday 9 Jan. It is unstructured, so I can do anything I want. I get a little room with a bathroom, a bed, a table, reading chair and a lamp. That's about it. We can attend all the services with the monks if we wish, but since that involves getting up at 3 am I may think about that for awhile. I could probably do it since we are supposed to go to bed at 7:30 pm. Might turn me into a morning person yet. There is a small library and we can walk as much as we want on the grounds.

It should be something completely different.

4 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

How can Mon.Jan. 8 until Fri.Jan.9 be a week? Sorry - somebody had to ask and I figured it would be me. It sounds like a great time away. I suppose you will have a small overnight bag for clothes and a large suitcase full of books. How can you go to bed at 7:30 - it's before your dinner time? Do they give you a candle for reading after 7:30 or it is lights out? Did you ask if they serve coffee for breakfast at their 3:00 a.m. service? As you can see, I have lots of questions. You'll have to write about it when you get home.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Blaine said...

My goodness Elizabeth, you have so many questions. Are you sure you didn't let Meghan go on and on and then write down what she was asking?

10:31 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Yes, I was also wondering about the 1 day week retreat amd going to bed without dinner. Take pictures so we can see what Berryville looks like these days. I think Art & I could get up at 3. This morning, Thanksgiving Day, I heard the paper drop at 3:49 and then realized that Art was going to get it. But then he feel asleep before Madonna Live From London at 8:00 but I made it until 9:30. What a show!

6:58 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Well, let's call it a work week. or a week in Monk days (sort of like dog years). I am only going to take a few books - they have a library. Along with one or two recorded books. I don't know about coffee - it hadn't been invented when the Rule for monks was written back in the Middle Ages. Dinner is served about 5:30 I think, which is FOUR HOURS earlier than I am used to.

I'll let you know how it goes! Don't know about candle power - they claim we have a 'lamp' for reading. Maybe one of those old olive oil lamps mentnioned in the Bible.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home