Friday, March 26, 2010

Cannon Dedication at University of Tampa

Thomas with one of the 2 restored cannons

Thomas with Charles Spicola
founder of the Rough Riders of Tampa

Gail and Thomas with Gen. Joe Wheeler
portrayed by George Moore

Gail dressed in 1890s attire with
one of the recently restored WBTS cannons

Mrs. Woodruff, chairwoman of event
and Mayor Pam with newly dedicated plaque

Mayor and Councilman unveiling dedication plaque

Jubal Early SCV Camp as CSA Color Guard

The restoration and placement of the only 2 War Between the States cannons from
Fort Brooke has taken 30 years to come to completion.

Thomas and I have been on the Restoration Committee for 17 years. Talk about
the wheels of progress moving slowly. No matter what, we are glad that it came
to pass in our lifetime.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Does anyone actually look at the blog anymore?

10:33 PM  
Blogger Clemens said...

Well, I do. Whenever Laura tells me there is something interesting on it. You look lovely.

Tom looks very authentic as a UNION naval commander.

And I didn't realize how well fed the Confederate soldiers must have been.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Yes but sometimes I'm busy and don't have time to comment and some days I'm not here to look.

Everyone should know that Gail made her outfit and I think designed it. Photos were great and the two of you looked grand.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Oh yes. I have a question. What took the project so long?

I mean, other than Tom was involved.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

Love the dress! Gail - you & the dress look great in pic #3.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

I do love the 1890s -- it is my favorite time period!!

To answer Scott's question - it was the age old problem .... MONEY! Took forever to raise the funds to pay for the restoration.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Blaine said...

I want to know if the man in the color guard has the 1862 or the improved 1864 version of sun glasses on????

12:19 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

To answer Blaine's question:
Upon examination of the photo, I believe the soldier is wearing the 1864 version of green spectacles.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home